Are you passionate about the development of disadvantaged, unskilled or semi-skilled young adults? If you are, Bergzicht Training is just the place for you.
We offer internships to enthusiastic, dedicated students from South Africa and abroad who wish to learn about the processes involved in managing a successful non-governmental organisation (NGO) that focuses on skills development for poor, unskilled, semi-skilled, and unemployed persons in the Western Cape.
Since our NGO is dependent on external funding for its activities, we unfortunately cannot offer any compensation to our interns. However, individuals who participate in an internship at Bergzicht will gain invaluable insight and knowledge about the non-governmental and non-profit sector, for example:
- Learn how to recruit via cost-effective recruitment processes that reaches the masses but are not expensive.
- Learn how to monitor and evaluate programmes and the impact they have on the lives of participants.
- Learn how to maintain and develop student and funder databases.
- Apply the skills you have learnt as part of your own studies in a safe environment where you will be supervised and guided by Bergzicht staff on how best to apply those skills in the social development sector.
- Serve as a mentor to our beneficiaries in order to help them build up their self-confidence, self-esteem and interpersonal skills by interacting with them on an one-on-one basis.
While we accept student interns throughout the year (from mid-January to mid-December), we expect all interns to be available for a minimum of 2 consecutive months at a time for an internship. This is to ensure that students have enough time to come to grips with the history, structure, vision, goals and programmes on offer at Bergzicht Training; to apply their skills effectively within our organisation in order to assist us to better serve our beneficiaries; and also gain enough experience within our organisation to add to their skills set.
Students who are interested in an internship at Bergzicht should have the following skills:
- A good command of English.
- An ability to effectively use the Internet for work related to their duties at Bergzicht.
- Computer skills and a good knowledge of MS Office programmes, for example Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.
- Graphic Design skills and ability to assist with development and implementation of Bergzicht’s social media plan.
- Have completed 3 years of study in one or more of the following fields:
– Social Work
– Human Resource Management
– Sociology and Social Anthropology
– Secretarial and Administrative Services
– Graphic Design
– Communications, Marketing and Public Relations (with a focus on social media)
Some of the tasks you will be expected to perform can include:
- assisting with research on fundraising and administrative tasks.
- assisting with the selection processes of students for our programmes.
- conducting interviews and assisting with the training of beneficiaries.
- filing and data capturing.
- observing welfare counselling support sessions with students.
Other tasks will be dependent on your abilities and skills and will be discussed with you on an individual basis.
If you have any further questions or want to submit an application, please contact Renske Minnaar at Renske@bergzicht.org.za.
Upon completion of your internship, you will receive:
- An official letter of recommendation from Bergzicht Training detailing the contribution you made to our organisation.
- An opportunity to be featured as one of Our Volunteers as part of our various marketing drives.